Open Philanthropy is hiring an IT Lead to lead our technology operations. This role would oversee Open Phil’s core technology infrastructure and operations. A key responsibility is leading the implementation of Open Phil’s updated information security strategy.
About Open Philanthropy
Open Philanthropy is a grantmaker; our mission is to help others as much as we can with the resources available to us. We stress openness to many possibilities and have chosen our focus areas based on importance, neglectedness and tractability. We’re particularly interested in high-risk, high-reward giving that may be too unconventional for other funders. Our current giving areas include global health and development, scientific research, South Asian air quality, farm animal welfare, biosecurity and pandemic preparedness, and potential risks from advanced artificial intelligence.
About the Role
This role sits within our Operations team and reports to our Business Operations Manager Nisha Austin. The key focus of this role will be building and overseeing our core technology infrastructure and operations. You would lead a small team, consisting of an Infosecurity Associate and a Business Operations Assistant in developing a strong IT foundation and implementing key infosecurity protocols which have already been identified.
The main responsibilities include:
- Managing a small team of IT operations professionals and setting priorities for the team in concert with key stakeholders and leadership
- Overseeing the rollout and configuration of corporate-owned IT devices for a distributed and worldwide team
- Administering and maintaining our cloud-based IT systems, including Google Workspace, Slack, and others
- Collaborating with multiple stakeholders to achieve the right balance of security and efficiency
- Overseeing and resolving security incidents and day-to-day staff IT issues and ensuring fast, effective, and friendly customer service
- Updating our existing technology policies and developing new policies as needed
- Finding new technologies to bring onto Open Phil’s tech stack to increase productivity and security
- Develop best practices and provide training to employees including in tech onboarding and offboarding
- Strategizing on information security plans and using threat modeling exercises to develop security protocols specifically for Open Phil’s needs
We’re looking for someone who resonates with Open Philanthropy’s mission and values and is excited to take ownership of providing excellent IT leadership and customer-centric support to our staff.
Our ideal candidate would have at least five years of prior experience in IT operations, change management, and effective technical team leadership, but we are open to applicants with varying levels of experience.
You might be a good fit if you:
- Communicate clearly about IT or security considerations and can explain critical concepts and technologies to non-technical people
- Have experience using and configuring Apple-based Mobile Device Management solutions such Kandji, Jamf, Mosyle, or similar products
- Have rolled out new IT solutions and applications to a small organization or large team
- Are comfortable working in teams with multiple and diverse stakeholders. This role will interface with stakeholders from many teams and involves getting buy-in from teams with differing needs
- Have team leadership and/or management experience. This role will require leading 1-2 dedicated IT operations staff and mobilizing internal and external resources to effectively carry out the team’s roadmap.
- Are flexible about the work you do and ready to help in many different capacities. We’re a small organization, and your day-to-day responsibilities would run the gamut from triaging technology support requests to advising on complex IT matters
- Are passionate about Open Phil’s mission and excited to support our work in cause areas such as AI safety, biorisk reduction, or EA community-building. You don’t need to be a subject matter expert in any of these fields, but we are looking for someone who is comfortable operating within the frameworks we use to think about our work, such as worldview diversification and cause prioritization.
There is no such thing as a “perfect” candidate. If you are on the fence about applying because you are unsure whether you are qualified, we would strongly encourage you to apply. Above all, we are looking for people motivated to contribute to our mission of helping others as much as we can with the resources available to us. Whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this role would make you excited to come to work every day.
Role details and benefits
- Compensation: The baseline compensation for this role is $138,415.40 which would be distributed as a base salary of $120,361.22 and an unconditional 401(k) grant of $18,054.18
- These compensation figures assume a remote location; there would be geographic adjustments upwards for candidates based in the San Francisco Bay Area or Washington, D.C.
- Time zones and location: You can work remotely anywhere in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor visas for this role.
- Benefits: Our benefits package includes:
- Excellent health insurance (we cover 100% of premiums within the US for you and any dependents)
- Dental, vision, and life insurance for you and your family
- Four weeks of PTO recommended per year
- Four months of fully paid family leave
- A generous and flexible expense policy — we encourage staff to expense the ergonomic equipment, software, and other services that they need to stay healthy and productive
- Support for remote work — we’ll cover a remote workspace outside your home if you need one, or connect you with an Open Phil coworking hub in your city
- Start date: Ideally a candidate could start as soon as possible after receiving an offer, but we prioritize getting the right person in the role and are willing to wait to make that happen.
We aim to employ people with many different experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds who share our passion for accomplishing as much good as we can. We are committed to creating an environment where all employees have the opportunity to succeed, and we do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or have any other questions about applying, please contact [email protected]
Please apply by 11:59 pm ET on June 25, 2023 date to be considered.