Our staff of ~35 currently gives away $150+ million per year with the aim of doing as much good as we can per dollar. In the coming years, we plan to increase our giving severalfold.
The Program Associate will work with Program Officer Claire Zabel to evaluate and renew past grants, assist the Open Philanthropy Committee for Effective Altruism Support, build relationships with others in the field, investigate and help execute new grants and programs, and more. We intend to invest heavily in training and mentoring this hire, in the hopes that over the long run they will become a core contributor to the organization. Over time, a successful Program Associate might become a Program Officer, a researcher, or a manager.
Applications are due by November 1st at noon Pacific Time. If you have questions about applying, please contact email@example.com.
About the role
Potential early projects include:
Generally, we expect the autonomy and responsibility of a successful hire to grow over time; later projects might be substantially more ambitious and open-ended than early ones, and the specifics of the role may be somewhat shaped by the personal fit of the hire. For example, the role might evolve to be relatively more focused on building relationships, executing pilot projects, or other things if the new hire has a comparative advantage in those things.
You might be a good fit if:
- This is a full-time position based in San Francisco, with an expected start date in early 2020, but we’re open to remote work for the right candidate.
- We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion and strongly encourage people with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.
- We pay competitively, and offer a comprehensive benefits package including full health, dental, vision and life insurance, an unconditional 401(k) grant of up to 15% of your salary, flexible work hours and location, ergonomic equipment and more.
- We are happy to sponsor applicants who lack U.S. work authorization, but we can’t guarantee visa approval.
- If you have applied to work at Open Philanthropy before, depending on what position(s) you have applied for, we may be able to use some of your previous application information (including your scores on work tests), which will decrease the time costs of applying again.
- Our website has more about who we are, what we’re about, and what we fund. See also this article and this podcast episode (both were produced for an earlier hiring round for a different role).
Submit Your Application