Candidates are eligible to apply if:
- they are planning to apply to one or more of the following universities for an undergraduate degree starting in 2024: University of Chicago, Stanford University, Columbia University, University of Pennsylvania, Duke University, California Institute of Technology, Brown University, University of California – Berkeley; and
- they qualify as international students for the purposes of admission and financial aid at these institutions.
- Our rationale for offering scholarships to those who qualify as international students is that there are far fewer scholarships available for such applicants, which can make it significantly more difficult for them to afford degrees at these institutions — or even to get admitted in the first place, for institutions that select international applicants in a need-sensitive manner (most of the universities on our list).
Candidates who are applying to Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Amherst, Dartmouth, and Bowdoin in addition to (one or more) of the universities listed above are also eligible to apply. However, we generally don’t expect to offer scholarships to attend one of those seven universities/colleges, because they both meet full financial need of admitted undergraduates and choose applicants — including international applicants — in a need-blind manner (i.e. financial need does not affect the chances of admission), which means that we see less room for our scholarship to benefit recipients. We may still consider doing so in exceptional circumstances, but only if a candidate has also applied and been admitted to one of the other universities listed above.
The application timelines for applicants seeking funding to attend one or more of these US universities are as follows:
- By default, candidates should apply by the primary application deadline, which is
August 18th, 2023, 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. (This deadline has now passed.)
- We recommend that candidates who are seeking funding to attend university in the USA apply by this deadline.
- We plan to inform successful candidates who applied by this deadline by early September.
- For successful candidates who apply by this date, we plan to cover the cost of 1-on-1 admissions counseling from a third-party provider. We may offer a more limited version of this service to some or all successful candidates who applied by one of the later deadlines, but this will be subject to availability. Also, our sense is that prospective students benefit significantly from starting work with their admissions counselors early in their application processes. This applies especially to candidates who are planning to apply to universities through early action/early decision.
- In our experience, scholarship applicants often leave their applications until the last minute because this gives them more time to write their application essays, improve their CVs, etc. We don’t recommend delaying your application for this reason; in assessing submissions, we will take into account that candidates who apply by one of the later deadlines are at a slight advantage compared to candidates who apply by the primary deadline, and adjust our evaluations accordingly.
- Candidates who missed the primary application deadline, plan on applying to one of the above-listed universities in the USA through early decision/early action, and would like us to consider their application for a scholarship to attend that university should apply by
September 29th, 2023, 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time .(This deadline has now passed.)
- We plan to inform successful candidates who applied by this deadline by mid-to-late October, in order to allow them to include information about the scholarship they have been awarded in their early decision/early action applications.
- Candidates who have already applied to one of the universities on our list through early decision/early action can still apply for a scholarship to attend one of the other relevant universities (by applying before the November 17th deadline – see next bullet point).
- Otherwise, candidates should apply by
November 17th, 2023, 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. (This deadline has now passed, and the program is closed for applications to schools in the USA.)
- We plan to inform successful candidates by early to mid-December, again in order to allow them to include information about the scholarships they have been awarded in their university applications.
- Our impression is that for both early decision/early action and regular decision applicants, securing an outside scholarship (like ours) before applying to the universities in question can in many cases meaningfully improve their chances of admission.
Important: Note that for these universities, early decision/early action deadlines are generally between November 1st-15th, and regular decision application deadlines are between January 1st-10th (exception: November 30th for Berkeley). However, they all require applicants to submit results from standardized tests (ACT/SAT and in some cases also English proficiency tests like TOEFL) which have to be booked and taken before these deadlines. They also require applicants to submit materials that take time to prepare (essays, references, etc.).
We therefore strongly advise applicants to familiarize themselves with the relevant application requirements as soon as possible and plan ahead.