Biological Weapons Convention Review Conference Travel Grants
This competitive program aims to support a small group of people early in their careers to attend the first week of the 9th Review Conference of the Biological Weapons Convention in Geneva, Switzerland (Nov 27, 2022 – Dec 3, 2022). Such Review Conferences are highly significant and infrequent occurrences, happening just once every 5 years or so.
This opportunity is aimed at people whose chief interest is in mitigating global catastrophic biological risks (GCBRs), events in which biological agents could lead to sudden, extraordinary, and widespread disaster, and thus pose a risk to humanity’s long-run future. The opportunity is open to applicants in any country. However, two caveats: First, we may decline to make an award if we are not able to comply with local laws. Second, the composition of the delegation to the Review Conference will ultimately be subject to approval by an international body, and we cannot guarantee that all selected applicants will be admitted.
This grant will fund relevant travel expenses, including airfare, lodging, and food. Grant recipients will be able to join public sessions of the Review Conference as well as accessible side events. Grant recipients may also be invited to participate in other programming around the event, e.g., organized dinners.
Applications are due here by October 3, 2022, at 11.59 p.m. Pacific Time.
- Other information
- In some cases, we may ask outside advisors to help us review and evaluate applications. By submitting your application, you agree that we may share your application with our outside advisors for evaluation purposes.
- We may make changes to this program from time to time. Any such changes will be reflected on this page.
- We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply, especially self-identified women and people of color.
- Application process
- Application timeline
Applications are due October 3, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time.
We will respond to all applications and expect to respond by October 17, 2022.
- Application materials
- Cover letter of no more than 500 words, which briefly explains your background, your interest in biosecurity, and your motivations for applying for this grant opportunity
- CV and/or LinkedIn
- Answers to a few other questions (see application form)
- We may contact you to request additional information.
- Application timeline
You can apply for this opportunity here. If you are unable to use the application form, please send all application materials to [email protected]
Questions? Please contact [email protected].